sabato 1 dicembre 2007

What's good and what's bad in the Web


[Photo by Google Images]

Hi, girls!
This week we aren’t supposed to learn new tools, but to reflect on how we judge the huge amount of information we find in the Net. We experienced the Net’s vastness in these two months. In our e-tivities, we were always surprised at the difficulty we found in choosing podcasts, websites, videos and blogs, just because there were too many of them!
Hopefully, we’ll soon begin writing our thesis and the Web will be maybe the main source we’ll use. Now the obvious question is: how can we judge the right source for us? I mean, we should understand what could be useful and what not. Before reading the websites Sarah suggested, I wanted to reflect on what I usually do when I have to find a piece of information in the Web. I thought about my recent experience, when I had to write my final dissertation to take my first degree. I must admit I found many difficulties because it was the first time I did a bibliographical research. I didn’t know where to start. The problem was that the Spanish author I had to write about wasn’t so famous in Italy, so there weren’t many books about him in the libraries. My only solution was the Web. I was quite lucky because there’s the website of his foundation, where I could find many useful links to other sources, always related to his works and life. But the difficulty here was to decide what kind of information I needed. Basically, I searched for documents written by academic writers but what I evaluated at most was the content. I wondered if the content could deal with the topic of my dissertation and that was all.
But reading the websites Sarah suggested, I found out that my evaluating skills were rather inadequate. My main problem is that my skills at computer are basic and I still haven’t found my feet with search engines: I simply open Google, type some keywords and then visit the first two or three sites that appears (I’ve always thought they should be the most relevant!). I knew there was the possibility of doing an advanced research, specifying what kind of information I wanted, but I didn’t know the domain names I was supposed to use. Now I discovered that if I need –for example- a website run by a government agency, I should type .gov. Then I didn’t know that specialized search engines existed: I had a look at Google scholar, a search engine aimed at academics, and then I found Google book, a search engine which only searches for books. I also tried the meta-search engine called Mamma. It’s the “mother of all search engines” and searches “other search engines and give you the most relevant returns from each” (to read the whole article, click here). I tried typing “Francisco Ayala” -the Spanish author about whom I should write my theses- both in Google and in Mamma. I was rather surprised when I saw the results of my search: I had more than 2 millions of returns by Google, while by Mamma I had only 33 returns!
I never thought that there could be so many things to take into consideration to evaluate a Web source. It could be really time demanding but I think that it’s the only solution if we want to get out of the huge amount of information avaiable in the Web!

See you next week!

Have a nice week end!

Martina

6 commenti:

ElenaCosta ha detto...

Hi Martina!
I'm glad to see that in the end you could successfully post your message!
You are perfectly right: using Web sources is not that easy! People generally think that you simply need to type the right words in a search engine and it will display on your screen EXACTLY what you were looking for...yes, maybe in your dreams! The fact that the returns are ordered by their relevance is very helpful and it allows you not to waste too much time visiting useless websites. Yet, this little "trick" is not enough to make a good work of research like the one we are supposed to do for our master thesis: we absolutely have to screen the results that the Internet can offer to our queries, judging them carefully. For this reason, I really appreciated this e-tivity: it got me to reflect on the way I should act to make my research profitable and in the articles I read through I found some useful tools, such us Mamma and Google Scholar, that could turn out to be useful in the next future.
See you soon,
Elena

Marta ha detto...

Hi Martina!!
Finally some suggestions on how to evaluate Web-sources! I'm sure they'll be very useful for our final dissertation! One of the most useful and illuminating suggestions was to carry on an advanced search, specifying the kind of source you are looking for in order to narrow down the quantity of results the Web would offer to you.. As Sarah pointed out in class, domain names (especially the so called ".edu" address)represent a good tool to retrieve reliable information. What's more, they can even come to your help whenever you are assaulted by doubts on the English grammar and lexicon (as we said in class, many problems on English prepositions can be solved thanks to a thorough advanced search on Google).
Like you, I dind't know about specialized search engines like Google Scholar or Mamma: having a look at them I realized how helpful they can be in order to find out more selected and, thus, authoritative online materials.

Have a nice day, see you in class!
Marta

Giovanna ha detto...

Hi martina!
In your post you talk about the importance of being able to use search engines properly. We often underestimate this kind of tool and we stop our searches when a search engine (usually Google) gives us its returns. Thanks to the links Sarah gave us we know that this is not enough. Did you ever heard about "boolean operators"? By writing "AND", "OR", "NOT" in a search engine you can optimize your search on the web excluding or including words that you want or don't want to be returned as results. I tried to do it but it is not so simple.
For our future thesis we'll have to take into consideration all these tips and be more critical in our searches, in order to give reliability to our works.

tortina84 ha detto...

@Giovanna:
Yes, I heard about boolean operators during the first year at university, but...I'm not sure I use them properly!;-) You're right, it's quite difficult!

Sara DT ha detto...

Hi Martina!
I didn't see today in class...Am I blind (could be possible...)or were you absent?
In the case you were absent I tell you what we talked about: first we summarized the different criteria for evaluating web pages, and then we tried to consider advantages and disadvantages of both web pages and books. The discussion was very animated because both have positive and negative aspects. In my personal opinion, web documents are undoubtedly faster and easier to find (you don't have to go out of your home and turn from a library to another), but the big problem is that not everything is useful, serious, reliable and so we cannot trust in what we find. Here we come back to the question of evaluating and we realize that the web is not so fast and easy to look up as one thinks. The conclusion is that, if we want to do a good work, we have to spend time either on books or on the Net...this is the hard truth! :-)

Bye!
Sara

tortina84 ha detto...

@Sara: Don't worry, you aren't blind at all! Yesterday I couldn't attend our weekly lesson.
See you on Wednesday! ;-)
Martina