venerdì 11 aprile 2008

Against death penalty

[Photo from Google Images]

Hi!
This week I couldn't attend the lesson, so I didn't Skype. I had a look at the American forum, I read the comments to the topics and I answered to that about death penalty.
Well, I'd like to spent two words about the subject. First of all, I was surprised when I read the American guys' question...They wanted to know if in Italy death penalty exists and what we think about it. There were 22 comments to this question but I decided to answer anyway, because I'm very sensitive to this issue and because I wanted to add something more.
My peers and I are all against death penalty. In my opinion, death penalty is a sentence which belongs to the Middle Ages and it's simply unacceptable in our modern world. We're supposed to live in a civilized society but sometimes I have the terrible impression that the human being is even worse than the animals.
The person who is guilty of atrocious crimes MUST BE PUNISHED but death penalty isn't the right solution. Let's take an example: a murderer is usually punished with the death. I mean, a man kills a man because he had not to kill another man. Does it not sound like a paradox?! It's absurd, isn't it? What's more, in this way the criminal doesn't pay for his crimes. He just dies and he gets it done!
I really believe that death penalty should be replaced by LIFE SENTENCE. Freedom is one of man's fundamental rights. If a man is guilty of terrible crimes which prejudice one's freedom, he MUST BE deprived of his freedom and therefore he MUST BE condemned to life imprisonment. That's the right sentence!

Martina

Nessun commento: